Each Character in Honkai: Star Rail has an Element associated with them. A Character’s Element determines the damage type of their attacks.
There are currently 7 Elements in the game:
Elements and combat
Enemies have a set of elemental weaknesses (generally 3) which are displayed above their head. Unlike a traditional RPG game, enemies do not take additional damage when they are hit by attacks of an element that they are weak against. Instead, doing so will reduce the enemy’s Toughness instead. You can inflict Weakness Break on an enemy by reducing its Toughness to 0. An enemy that has been Weakness Broken will suffer additional damage and a debuff based on the element of the attack that reduced its Toughness to 0.
The Weakness Break for each element are as follows:
- Physical - Bleed
- Deals additional physical damage and apply the Bleed effect (Physical DoT)
- Fire - Burn
- Deals additional fire damage and apply the Burn effect (Fire DoT)
- Ice - Frozen
- Freezes the enemy, preventing it from taking any actions and apply an Ice DoT
- Lightning - Shock
- Deals additional lightning damage and apply the Shock effect (Lightning DoT)
- Wind - Wind Shear
- Deals additional wind damage and apply the Wind Shear effect (Wind DoT)
- Quantum - Entanglement
- Applies the Entanglement effect (Pushes the enemy back in the turn order and dealing Quantum DoT)
- Imaginary - Imprisonment
- Applies the Imprisonment effect (Pushes the enemy back in the turn order and reduces the enemy’s Speed)
While broken, the enemy’s Toughness remains at 0 and further attacks of an element that the enemy is weak against will have no additional effects on it. A broken enemy will recover from its broken state on its next turn. Its Toughness will also be replenished back to full and it can be Weakness Broken again.
Elements and characters
Below you will find a list of all characters available in the game grouped by the Element they wield.